Friday 26 August 2011

Stock Characters Research

In soap operas specifically, stock characters are the stereotypes that appear in each episode which usually reflect the area they live in. For example, common stock characters are:

- The Pregnant Teen
- The Single Mum
- The Girl Next Door
- Jack the Lad
- The Pub Owner/Business Figure
- The Homosexual Couple
- The Bad Boy
- The Old/Wise Figure
- The Damsel in Distress
- The Golddigger

In order to understand these characters more, I have found an example of each from various soap operas and then an example of each, focussing on Emmerdale in particular as this is the current soap opera with the most similarities to ours in terms of settings, themes and characters. When I have found all the information I shall feed back to my group my findings and help to decide which stereotypes and characters we will be including in our own soap opera.