Monday 31 October 2011

Soap Opera Logo Designs

After researching into existing logos for soap operas, I have created 3 designs, the best one I will take to my group as input for creating our final logo design. 


This first design was inspired by both the Emmerdale and EastEnders logos as they both use a background image to support their soap opera name. Since our soap opera is set in a rural location, I found an image of a field to connote this to our audience, helping them recognise our soap. The text itself I have chosen to resemble that of a street sign, but reversed the colours in order for the name to stand out more. This, combined with the capital letters and bold font, creates a striking effect for the audience and juxtaposes the calm background image - similarly to how our story lines contrast the settings in our soap opera. 


My second design also resembles that of a street sign, but I have incorporated green into the design to connote the rural setting of our soap opera. Though this logo does not have a background image to help it stand out, it can easily be applied to any shot in a trailer at any size since it's simple and has bold, white text. I also chose the colour green as it was not used in any of the existing logos I had researched, making it unique and, possibly, iconic. 


The final design that I've created is a lot plainer than my previous designs but can also easily be adjusted to fit any shot. By altering the outline of the logo to a chalky effect and using an old fashioned font, this logo connotes a typical, old-fashioned setting. However, it could also allude to an old-fashioned soap and this is not what we are looking for. In order to reach our varied target audience, we need a logo that appeals to various age groups and I believe that a more colourful logo would help us reach our target audience. 

The design I have chosen to take to my group is number two, as it is the most unique and connotes the rural setting of our soap opera. It's also looks professional and can easily be cropped into various frames in our piece.